The parish of Alderley with Tresham consists of the village of Alderley with the Georgian church of St Kenelm, and a mile away up the Cotswold Edge, Tresham with its Victorian Chapel of Ease. Our beautiful small church of St. Kenelm was rebuilt in in 1802 on the site of an earlier church; however the tower dates back to c.1450.
The church is open between 10 am and 5 pm every day.
A Parish Eucharist is held in St Kenelm’s on the 3rd Sunday of each month, with special services at Easter and Christmas which are well attended. The building is also the venue for social events and village meetings and there is an active Friends Group which holds fund raising and social gatherings. The church and churchyard are maintained by volunteers from the village and surrounding area, and attract a good number of visitors each year. Many are drawn by the tranquillity of the setting on the edge of the Cotswold Way; others come to see the tomb of Marianne North, the well-known botanist and painter.
Of special interest is an altar screen carved by Julia Hilliam a friend of A. S. Hartrick. There is also a fine collection of marble wall monuments. The tomb of Sir Matthew Hale, Lord Chief Justice of England during the reign of Charles II, may be found in the churchyard.