Congratulations on your engagement. You are reading this as you are considering getting married in one of our churches – St. Mary’s in Wotton under Edge; St. Martin’s in North Nibley; St. Kenelm’s in Alderley or The Chapel of Ease in Tresham.
In order to marry in a Church of England church, one of you has to have a connection to it. There are 7 different ways to have a connection:
You can marry in a Church of England church if you can show that one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
- was baptised (christened) in the parish concerned, or
- is confirmed and your confirmation was entered in the register of confirmations for a church or chapel in the parish (this will usually be the case if you were prepared for confirmation in the parish), or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
If none of the above applies to you, do not worry! You can still make a qualifying connection. You will need to attend a regular service once a month, for 6 consecutive months and you have gained a connection!
Please do get in touch with the office in the first instance whether you have a connection or not – 01453 842175 or firstname.lastname@example.org – we can go through it with you.
Once a connection is established (or plan on being established) a member of the clergy team will be in touch to meet with you both to run through the legalities and practicalities of getting married. You will have a further 2 meetings to talk about marriage and to plan the service.
Bells, flowers, music and support will be talked about once our priest has spoken with you.
The Church of England has a very good page on its website looking at all things marriage related! https://www.churchofengland.org/life-events/weddings